Admissions Requirements & Deadlines
Coordinator of Graduate Programs
Dr. Flore Chevaillier
Flowers, Room 350
The Master of Arts in Literature program offers courses in a variety of disciplines and are set in traditional classroom settings. Most courses are offered in the evenings and are capped at 15 students per class. This provides students with an ample opportunity to interact with faculty and other students in the program.
M.A. Literature Program Options
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
For more information regarding the Thesis and Non-Thesis track options, please view our online friendly booklets here.
Graduate Application Deadlines
Fall - Priority
|January 15||January 15|
|Fall - Standard||June 15||June 1|
|Spring||October 15||October 1|
|Summer I||April 15||March 15|
|Summer II||June 1||No Admission|
This program has a flexible deadline.
This program reviews application on a rolling basis.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Review application and document upload instructions.
International applicants, please visit our international web pages for additional requirements.
- completed online ApplyTexas application
- $40 nonrefundable application fee
- $50 nonrefundable international evaluation fee (if applicable)
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- official transcripts required from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- minimum 3.25 GPA in a minimum of 24 hours of undergraduate English, including at least 12 advanced hours
If your English GPA falls between 3.0 and 3.25, official GRE scores and additional documents are required. Read additional information below.
- official GRE scores not required unless your English GPA falls between 3.0 and 3.25. Read additional information below.
- additional documents not required unless your English GPA falls between 3.0 and 3.25. Read additional information below.
You will use the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU) to submit your documents. You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Non-native English speakers who do not qualify for an English proficiency waiver:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
GPA and Additional Requirements
If your English GPA falls between 3.0 and 3.25, please submit the following items in order to be considered for conditional admission*:
- official GRE scores with a preferred minimum of 160 in the verbal section
- two letters of recommendation
- writing sample of non-fiction prose, preferably literary analysis
*Conditional admission is not available to applicants who require "F" or "J" visas.